Lentil walnut mince crafted from a blend of unsalted walnuts, uncooked brown lentils, aromatic brown onion, garlic, and a mix of spices offers an array of health benefits. Walnuts are a nutritional powerhouse, brimming with omega-3 fatty acids that support heart health and aid in reducing inflammation. Coupled with lentils, this mince becomes a robust source of plant-based protein and fibre, promoting satiety and aiding in digestive health.
The inclusion of garlic not only adds depth to the flavour but also brings potential immune-boosting properties, thanks to its allicin content. The combination of spices like paprika, cumin, and chilli powder not only enhances the taste but also introduces antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. These spices may offer benefits ranging from improved metabolism to potential anti-cancer properties.
Furthermore, the addition of tomatoes, rich in vitamins and lycopene, adds a burst of antioxidants that may support heart health and reduce the risk of chronic diseases. The use of vegetable stock instead of animal-based broths keeps the dish low in saturated fats while maintaining a savoury depth of flavour. Altogether, this lentil walnut mince becomes a powerhouse of nutrients, offering a satisfying and wholesome alternative packed with healthful components.
Lentil and Walnut Mince
- ¼ cup unsalted walnut
- 1 cup uncooked brown lentils
- 1 cup brown onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp mied herbs
- 1½ tbsp light soy sauce
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Soak the walnuts and lentils in warm water for 30 minutes in two separate bowls. Cover them to retain the heat.
- Drain and rinse the walnuts, then chop them into small pieces like a 'mince' texture.
- In a large frying pan or stock pot, saute in a small amount of water or stock. Cook the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent.
- Add the walnuts and spices, stir, and cook for two minutes
- Drain the lentils and add to the onion mix with all the other ingredients. Stir through and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue simmering until the lentils are soft.
- Serve as your favourite mince meal.