A jackfruit pot roast is a mouthwatering vegan alternative to the classic meat-based pot roast, and it’s gaining popularity for its hearty, savoury flavours and unique texture. Jackfruit, a tropical fruit native to South Asia, has become a culinary sensation in the world of plant-based cuisine due to its ability to mimic the texture of pulled pork or shredded beef when cooked. When used in a pot roast recipe, jackfruit provides a tender and fibrous consistency that soaks up all the delicious flavours of the accompanying vegetables and seasonings.
To prepare a jackfruit pot roast, ripe jackfruit is often used as it’s sweeter and less starchy than its unripe counterpart. The fruit is typically marinated or seasoned with a blend of spices, herbs, and aromatics like garlic, onions, thyme, and rosemary. It’s then slow-cooked in a flavorful broth or sauce along with a medley of vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms. As the jackfruit simmers away, it absorbs the savoury essence of the seasonings and vegetables, resulting in a rich and satisfying dish.
The end result is a jackfruit pot roast that boasts a complex, umami-rich taste and a tender, succulent texture. It’s a perfect centrepiece for a vegan or vegetarian feast, providing all the comforting flavours of a traditional pot roast without any animal products. Served with a side of mashed potatoes and steamed greens, a jackfruit pot roast is a delightful and wholesome meal that showcases the versatility of this incredibly tropical fruit in the world of plant-based cooking.
Jackfruit Pot Roast
- 2 cans jackfruit in water
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp vegan wochestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp liquid aminos
- 1 ½ tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
for the potroast
- marinated jackfruit
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 carrots, sliced into 1/4 lengthways
- 4 potatoes
- 4 kumara (sweet potato)
- ¼ pumpkin
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsps cornflour (cornstach)
- 2 sprigs rosemary and thyme (or 1 tsp each if using dried herbs)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F)
- Add the jackfruit and the marinade ingredients into a large snaplock bag or sealed container and shake to mix. Set aside while you prep the other vegetables.
- Cut the potato, kumara and pumpkin into small bite-size pieces (2.5cm).
- In a dutch oven, saute the onion and garlic with a little water or veg stock.
- Place in all other vegetables, then make a hole in the middle and add the marinated jackfruit.
- Mix the cornflour with a 1/4 cup of cold water, then pour this and the vegetable stock over the vegetables and jackfruit.
- Add the herbs.
- Bring to a boil on the stovetop, then cover and place in the oven and bake for 40 mins (remove lid for the last 5 mins to brown.)
- Serve with steamed green vegetables.