These slices are not only a delightful treat but also a healthful option. Starting with oat flour and rolled oats, this recipe offers a significant dose of dietary fibre. Oats are renowned for their high fibre content, which aids in digestion, promotes a sense of fullness, and helps regulate blood sugar levels. Including some mashed banana further enriches this dessert with potassium, essential for maintaining proper heart function and blood pressure. Moreover, bananas provide vitamins C and B6, which support overall immunity and nervous system health.
The incorporation of frozen blueberries amplifies the health benefits of this dessert. Blueberries are packed with antioxidants, particularly flavonoids, which may contribute to reduced oxidative stress and lower inflammation in the body. The presence of pure maple syrup not only adds a natural sweetness but also contains various antioxidants and minerals. Additionally, the zest from a lemon enhances the dish with vitamin C and compounds that may aid in digestion and skin health.
The combination of these ingredients creates a delectable dessert that not only satisfies the sweet cravings but also provides a range of nutrients and health benefits, making it a wholesome choice for those looking to indulge without compromising on wellness.
Blueberry crumble slice
For the crust and crumble
- 1½ cups oat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup banana
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
For the filling
- 2½ cups frozen blueberries
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cornflour or arrowroot starch
- zest from one lemon
- Preheat oven to 180℃ (360℉).
- Line an 8x8 inch slice tray with cooking paper.
- In a large bowl mix the oat flour, rolled oats, baking soda and cinnamon together. Then, stir in the mashed banana and vanilla essence.
- Put 1¾ of the mix into the tray, evenly pressing the mix to make the base of the slice.
- Heat a medium pot and add the filling ingredients. Use a wooden spoon to press down and break up the blueberries, leaving some chunks.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cook for 5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
- Pour the mix over the crust and spread evenly.
- Add the remaining crumble to top of the filling.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool on a rack before transferring the slice to the fridge. Once chilled, cut into around 16 slices.