Elevate your culinary experience with these Italian-inspired plant-based meatballs that redefine the art of savoury indulgence. Crafted from a blend of hearty brown lentils, diced brown onions, and aromatic garlic, these meatballs celebrate plant-based goodness. Including earthy button mushrooms and ground linseed (flaxseeds) introduces a delightful depth of flavour and a perfect binding element. These plant-based wonders are then expertly seasoned with Italian bread crumbs and a burst of freshness from freshly chopped parsley, creating a symphony of Italian flavours in every bite.
The brown lentils serve as the anchor of these meatballs, imparting a meaty texture and a rich, satisfying taste. Combined with the sweetness of diced brown onions and the piquancy of garlic, these meatballs offer a blend of familiar and exotic tastes. The addition of button mushrooms not only enhances the umami profile but also contributes to the meatball’s texture, resulting in a dish that’s not just delicious but also nutritionally dense and satisfying.
Imbued with a medley of Italian-inspired spices and the earthy essence of linseeds (flaxseeds), these meatballs are lovingly crafted to provide a wholesome and hearty alternative to traditional meat-based recipes. The combination of Italian bread crumbs and fresh parsley brings a crispy exterior and a burst of herbaceous aroma, culminating in a plant-based culinary delight that can stand proudly on any Italian dinner table. Whether served alongside pasta or as a standalone dish, these Italian plant-based meatballs are a testament to the innovation and creativity that can be achieved in plant-forward cooking.
Italian Plant-based 'Meatballs'
- 1 Air Fryer
- 1 can brown lentils drained
- 2 brown onions diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 button mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp ground linseeds (flaxseeds)
- 1 cup italian bread crumbs
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped
- Create a flax egg with 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed and 2 ½ tbsp hot water. Place aside to set.
- Saute in a pan with a little of either water or vege stock the onions, garlic and mushrooms until soft.
- Add sauteed ingredients into a food processor with all other ingredients, including the flax egg. Pulse to combine. You might need to scrape the contents from the sides to make sure all is combined.
- Make balls from the mix around the size of a golf ball and place them into the tray of the air fryer.
- Cook in the air fryer at 180°C for around 15 mins, stopping halfway through to turn the balls over.
- Heat in a saucepan your favourite bolognese sauce. In a second saucepan, cook the whole wheat spaghetti following the packet instructions.
- Serve the 'meatballs' on a plate of greens, whole wheat spaghetti and coated with the bolonaise sauce.