Across: 5 Pallidum, 6 Crohns, 9 Recover, 11 Klaper, 13 Equate, 15 Duo, 16 Chronic, 17 Truism, 19 Oven, 20 Alphabet, 21 Odour, 22 Addiction, 23 Tutored, 25 Eczema, 27 Lignan, 28 Yet, 30 Fasting, 31 Amid, 33 Immersion, 34 Drug.
Down: 1 Flavonoid, 2 Nitric oxide, 3 Buckwheat, 4 Core, 6 Carcinogen, 7 Neuropathy, 8 Credible, 9 Rice, 10 Cur, 12 Pardon, 14 Aorta, 18 Martyn, 22 Ace, 24 Rot, 26 Asthma, 27 Linseed, 29 Fit, 31 Aloe, 32 Issue
References: Page 15
Everything you eat, you should
be able to identify
References: Page 21
Feed your body and soul by growing
your own food
For our US readers, we suggest:
References: Page 26
Eating your way to wellness
How the CHIP programme works
References: Pages 34-35
EBE Dunedin lectures ‘technically challenged’
but still the best yet
Evidence Based Eating New Zealand
References: Pages 38-39
Chipping away at the
root cause of ill-health
Reference: Page 43
Art with a message,
moved by a mood
Personal Website: https://www.ruthkilloran.co.nz/
References: Page 45
Plant foods can cut the risk of
developing & reducing Asthma
Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
References: Page 46
Plant-based diets reduce Covid-19 impact
Flavonoid-rich foods reduce blood pressure:
Jennings A, Koch M, Bang C, Franke A, Lieb W, Cassidy A. Microbial diversity and abundance of Parabacteroides mediate the associations between higher intake of flavonoid-rich foods and lower blood pressure. Hypertension. Published online August 23, 2021. doi: 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.121.17441
References: Page 48
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- Use raw sugar or a light-coloured sweetener. For a sugar-free cake, try granulated stevia or erythritol, (more gut-friendly than other sugar substitutes). It is sweeter than white sugar, so not as much is needed. Make the cake a few times to find your own sweet/tang balance.
- If you’re buying canned apple puree, the ingredients should read ‘100% apples.’ Some canned apple pie fillings are good too. Pop them in the blender and puree them with the lemon juice and zest.
- Fine yellow cornmeal is not polenta. Smooth yellow cornmeal flour supplies are still seasonal, so when you see it, top up your supply to carry you through. This encourages more local farmers to grow it. Lower food miles, more food security, better health, and a lower carbon footprint is the result. Same goes for maize flour.
- If you don’t have fine yellow cornmeal flour, fine whole maize or brown rice flour will do the trick. Whole wheat flour works brilliantly, but it results in a slightly darker cake, and is not gluten free, for those who need that.
- For the glaze, grapefruit-free marmalade or rice syrup are a good choice for people on medication.
- We find that this cake stands on its own, not needing cream, ice-cream, or yogurt.
Serve at room temperature, or slightly warm, and store in a sealed container in the fridge.
References: Page 49
Orange and Persimmon Blondies
- If you’ve no fine yellow cornmeal flour, rice flour is fine on its own, (1¼ cups in total). If you don’t need them gluten free, whole wheat flour works well, though it makes them a little darker in colour.
- Tapioca flour can be used instead of ‘No Egg.’ But ‘No Egg’ gives superior results.
- Use Fuyu persimmons – (the most common variety in shops). To prevent birds eating the whole crop, they are picked before they’re ripe. Leave them in a warm spot to ripen – some to a warm orange stage but still firm, and others until they’re dark orange, soft, and squishy.
- With firm persimmons, peel the skins off with a potato peeler and remove any seeds before putting the fruit in the blender. For persimmon mush, just scoop it out of the skin with a spoon.
- Use grapefruit-free marmalade if any of your guests are on medication. Finely chop or grate some firm ripe persimmon and mix it into the marmalade before you spread it on top.
- If you’re not ready to use all your persimmons and don’t want them to ripen, they can be stored in the refrigerator for over a month.
- Spare persimmons can be frozen to use later in the year. Freezing softens the cell walls of the fruit such that when it is thawed it is mushier and ready to use straight away.