Roasted sweet potato is an ideal salad base especially if you are looking for something that’s a little more substantial than a regular leaf only creation and it needn’t take long to prepare.
If you enjoy roasted vegetables, then our advice is to always keep some on hand. Pre-roasting and then chilling is an ideal solution not only for fast snacks during work week but whenever you need quick access to a meal base that can be eaten as is or with other ingredients as shown here.
2 medium sized sweet potatoes
150g rocket or baby spinach
70g roasted red and/or yellow capsicum
16 olives or small red grapes, halved
70g vegan cheese, finely grated
1 medium sized red onion, optional
celery seed to suite
balsamic vinegar, olive oil
1. Go to your pre-roasted vege box in your refrigerator and pick out the nicest looking sweet potato pieces you can find. Dice or slice the sweet potato as you prefer.
2. Take the rocket / baby spinach leaf and place in your favourite salad bowl.
3. Add in the sweet potato, capsicum, olives or grapes and the optional red onion if desired.
4. Sprinkle lightly with celery seed.
5. Toss with two forks.
6. Add more celery seed to suit
7. Spread the grated vegan cheese over the top and lightly toss again
8. Finally, drizzle balsamic vinegar or olive oil over all ingredients.
The secret to a good salad in our opinion is not only in its content but the final presentation. The dressing used really makes the day and it pays to begin developing your own favourite list of vegan dressings. Also, here’s a great oil-free dijon dressing recipe you could also use.